Thanks for checking in. I would love to hear from you.

Have a wonderful day my friends!




Sunday, February 19, 2012

Volleyball



I'm old.

I'll admit it.

Who knew that in such a short amount of time volleyball rules and how the game is played could change SOOOO much? (Maybe it's not really been as short of time as I would like to think it has been, but still!!!) Seriously. I love watching our 10 year old daughter and her friends play on a traveling volleyball team. Here are my questions so far....

1. Why don't they just rotate around the circle so I know what position they are supposed to be playing?
2. Really? SOMEbody gets a point after every single serve?
3. What??? Everybody starts with the score of 4? (I REALLY don't get that one.)
4. Instead of beginning at 4, why don't we just start 0-0 and play to 21?
5. Are we really just giving kids points for showing up? (again with everyone beginning with 4 points)
6. Pool play vs. Bracket play.
7.  I need a tutor to help me read the schedule for the day and the board throughout the day.  (yet another "true story!")

There are more, but I've already shown what an idiot I am! Ha!

We just got home from a 2 day tournament in Springfield.  This is the 3rd tournament for us.  The girls are getting better at working together each weekend.  I would think they would be intimidated by the height difference of some of the teams --but that's just my opinion.  (I would be terrified by some of these teams....)  I know that rather than getting ready and into position to receive, I would be looking for a chair, friend brick wall to hide behind!  They can hit the ball HARD!  Seriously.  I'd be very afraid.  I say that, yet I sit in my comfy chair on the sidelines encouraging them to "Get ready!  It's coming to you!"  Shame on me.  I'm tormenting 10 year olds.  It's like Halloween all over again...week after week after week!   Mwa-ha-ha-haaaaaaah!

This is a new experience for us.  Our family is enjoying the time together, time with friends, and the learning experience of today's volleyball.  The girls are learning how to play volleyball in a whole new way.  They are getting better at setting up the ball and getting a hit over the net.  They are working toward getting more consistant with their serving.  Me?  I'm just trying to figure out where everyone runs to once a ball has been served.  They know, and they try to tell me, but I get lost in that little court.  Good thing I'm as old as I am, and I just had to move over a few steps to get to my new spot in the rotation!

I'm so thankful that my kids are healthy enough and motivated enough to play team sports.  I'm excited to see them grow and learn through their experiences.  I enjoy watching them celebrate the success of a point scored or a medal earned.  I am even happy to say that last night, after losing a lot, when asked by a sales clerk how her team did, she thought about it and with a smile on her face replied, "We did good."   Maybe they lost a lot, but she must have felt they did something right, or she would not have said that they did good.  Wow!  I was a very proud momma at that moment.  I am more happy than I can explain to see confidence growing and skills improving.  These are the things that make life so delicious! 

Enjoy the week my friends!



True concentration, Baby!!!

1st medal of the season.
2nd place in the Silver Bracket.

VERY exciting for a team of 10 and 11 year old young ladies
who are playing against a bunch of 12 year olds!

Congratulations to CJ Smash.  You girls played so hard this weekend! 
I'm so excited for the next tournament!
I can't wait to see what you have to show us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Living the Dream

Living the Dream
I love Christmas Eve when the house is quiet and there is nothing left to do but wait for Santa and Christmas morning to arrive!