Thanks for checking in. I would love to hear from you.

Have a wonderful day my friends!




Monday, September 3, 2012

Memories of Labor Day

Labor Harvest Picnic. 
 
Three little words that everyone in Deepwater understands.  The Labor Harvest Picnic has been an annual tradition for over 100 years.  As a little girl, I got excited about the carnival rides and the spectacular parade. My sister and I were IN the parade as "Grandpa's Princesses" one year. 
We dressed in our best dresses, fixed our hair just so, spread a blanket on top of Grandpa's car, and he happily drove us in the parade.  It was so exciting.  We felt so important!  There were queen candidates, shriner cars, old cars and tractors, kids riding decorated bikes and Mommas pulling decorated wagons.  There was always a plethera of candy to be thrown out along the parade route. 
 
As a parent of young children, I loved taking our kids to the same events.  Both of the kids were part of the baby contests.  Courtney won the baby contest the year she entered.  (I think it was the naturally curly hair and BIG blue eyes, myself...not to mention her sweet, sweet smile and infectious giggle)  I remember telling my parents that they would be grandparents at the Labor Harvest Picnic. FOND memories, I tell you. 
 
My parents were on committees to plan the celebration for years.  When Daddy was going through chemotherapy treatments, he quit helping, but he continued to attend.  We took our BIG kids and made a "Papa's Pirates" float.  We dressed the kids as pirates, armed them with water guns and candy, and had a blast in the parade.  We won 2nd place that year, squirting spectators with a cool blast of water as we went. 
 
Five years ago was Daddy's last Labor Harvest Picnic.  We watched the parade together.  We ate grilled hamburgers and chips with a cool, very refreshing soda.  I can hear the bluegrass music being played by the band in the park.  We finished our day with a trip to the hospital for Daddy to get his blood checked.  His levels were low, and he needed a blood transfusion.  I knew we needed to get back on the road for our long drive home, but I really felt the necessity to stay and visit a while longer.  We stayed at the hospital while he got his transfusion.  We visited.  I made a hamburger run.  We visited some more.  Today I am so thankful that we did not rush back home to prepare for school the next day.  I am thankful that I had those extra hours to just visit (in the air conditioned hospital room).  I would not trade the tired day after for anything.    
 
Yesterday Courtney and I drove to Deepwater.  We stopped at my Granny's house where we sat and visited for a few hours.  When we knew it was time to go, we went down to the Picnic to get a burger.  Here is a quick look at some of the things we remember most.... 
 
 

Entertainment for this weekend

Canned fruits and vegetables.
I love seeing the projects that people bring in.
Yesterday we saw the most beautiful quilt made with black and white fabric.
There were splashes of red here and there. 
It was beautiful.
I should have taken a picture of it.

My Daddy's Senior Class.
He was the Class President.
(Mr. says he should have been the Class Prankster)
 
Yep.
Not your average school mascot, is it?
This trophy case is holding trophies from the old high school.
Deepwater doesn't have a school anymore. 
Daddy Graduated from Deepwater High School where he was a Demon. 
I went to Kindergarten as a Deepwater Demon.

Momma took this picture of me and my sweet girl at the Picnic yesterday.
My word! She has grown up since the day she won that baby contest.
Her Papa would be so proud of her and her brother.
 

This is the sunset at my Daddy's best friends house.
We stopped there for a quick visit on our way home.
It was terrific to see their family.
It was their 40th wedding anniversary.
I'm pretty sure that Daddy nudged me to call them as ask if we could stop to say hello.
This was certainly another visit that I will never regret having stayed out past my bedtime.

I'm pretty sure that today and all it's memories of days past were a little taste of Heaven.
 
We've moved on from the Labor Harvest Picnic.  We don't attend every year like we used to.  As a matter of fact, we rarely attend.  I have to say though...stopping by yesterday was delicious.  The visiting.  The walking.  Seeing old friends.  Yes, it was delicious, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to have been part of one more Picnic. 
 
 
Oh! 
And that parade???? 
The parade route was 3 blocks long. 
 It really is the LITTLE things that become the big things. 
Isn't that delicious?
Have a blessed Labor Day my friends.
Make it a memorable one.
 
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Living the Dream

Living the Dream
I love Christmas Eve when the house is quiet and there is nothing left to do but wait for Santa and Christmas morning to arrive!