Thanks for checking in. I would love to hear from you.

Have a wonderful day my friends!




Saturday, January 9, 2016

Memory Loss

I'm pretty sure that my memory is fading me.
That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Lately I've noticed that I'm very forgetful.

I forget why I walked into a room.
I forget birthdays.
I forget to put ingredients on the grocery list.
I forget to take the list to the store!
I forget where I put things.
I forget where I parked my car.
Sometimes I forget which car I took to  the store.
...
The list could go On and On and ON!



I have decided to slow down, though.
I've convinced myself that if I truly slow down I will forget less.  
More importantly, I will remember more.

I've started reading and thinking about Thankfulness.
I've always considered myself to be pretty thankful.
I give thanks daily ... 
for food, 
for our home, 
for a job that I love, 
for my incredible family, 
for our  health, 
for my friends, 
for reliable vehicles,
for the ability to see the morning sunrise and evening sunset,
etc.

I have always thought that those things were specific things for which to be thankful.
I've had it all wrong. 
These things are simply part of the "umbrella" of thanks.
They are still very general.
These things I've listed are not naming specific blessings.

Count your blessings and name them one by one.

Name them.

Yes, name them.
Be specific.

#1  Time in the early morning while the house sleeps to sit quietly with a cup of coffee, a candle, and a daily devotion.

#2  The sound of a heater kicking on while the cold wind blows outside.  

#3  Birds chirping as they search for breakfast.

#4  Christmas lights still strung on  the porch window. 
 Lights which remind me of my Daddy who celebrates Christmas in Heaven.

#5  January and new beginnings: 
 a fresh start,
 another chance, 
a time for changes in behavior and attitude and health

#6  The sigh of a sleeping child

#7  The warmth of a comfy chair, a cozy blanket, and the flicker of candlelight

#8  Pictures on a wall that show milestones and memories

#9  Daylight peeking in the window as the sun comes up behind the gray clouds

#10  The promise of this new day and all the possibilities which lie ahead



Yes, I still have a long list of chores to do.
Yes, the list is long.
Yes, it will take me most of the day to accomplish the goals.

If I can just slow down, though, I can enjoy the little things.
The moments.
I can take time to hear the furnace kick on.  
I can take time to see the beautiful gifts God has so graciously gifted to me.

If I notice the little things more often, maybe, just maybe I will remember more and forget less.
Now is the time to remember more.
The kids are growing up so fast.
The days pass so fast.
The friends come and go.
Days on a calendar creep up so quickly.
Everything today is fast.

I'm going to try to slow down.
to notice the little things.
to sit and visit longer.
to mail the letters to far away friends.

New year.
New beginnings.
New chances, right?

Life is too short and much too delicious to not notice the little things.
Slow down, friends.
Enjoy the deliciousness!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Living the Dream

Living the Dream
I love Christmas Eve when the house is quiet and there is nothing left to do but wait for Santa and Christmas morning to arrive!